Monday, September 17, 2007

"This Was Brett That I Had Felt Like Crying About."

Little-known Brett Somers facts:

1. She was born "Audrey Johnston." She changed her name to "Brett" for the lead female character in Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises (Brett Ashley, of course). I always thought that was a pretty cool move.

2. Though she and Jack Klugman separated in 1974, they never actually divorced... the only thing that has ever kept me from writing "Quincy" off as a complete idiot... though NOT living with Brett Somers is a pretty boneheaded move, you ask me.

3. I knew in 1977 that someday I'd marry a woman like Brett Somers. She'd be smart and independent and caustic and warm and pretty behind great big sunglasses and better than me in every way that matters. I eventually did marry just that person... right down to the great big sunglasses, which makes me unbelievably happy.

4. Brett Somers died on Saturday at 83, which makes me unbelievably sad.

"This was Brett that I had felt like crying about. Then I thought of her walking up the street and stepping into the car, as I had last seen her, and of course in a little while I felt like hell again. It is awfully easy to be hard-boiled about everything in the daytime, but at night is another thing." ~Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

No comments: