Wednesday, January 10, 2007

It's Hard Out Here For A Disc

Here's the thing: I have a lot of DVDs. I have a lot of DVDs and I am not in a hurry to commit to HD DVD or Blu-Ray just yet... so did my choice just get harder, or easier?

If you -like me- are still waivering between HD DVD and Blu-Ray (and, honestly, who isn’t?) then you’ll either be very pleased or very angry that Warner Home Video have announced a third format: the Total Hi Def disc, a hybrid choice containing both formats.

The title they were showing off at CES 2007 was Superman Returns, which apparently played on a Pioneer Blu-ray player, a Toshiba HD-DVD player and an LG Super Multi player (which plays both formats anyway) looking exactly the same on all three.

A nice technological achievement for sure. But is adding what’s essentially a third format really the right way to win the format war I'm already sick of? Even though it’s a great compromise between the two, Warner will still have to market the hell out of the Total Hi Def disc and beat out the Toshiba and Pioneer products, effectively making themselves just another competitor. But the boxes are red and blue.

No comments: