Saturday, April 09, 2005

Ladders... and Snakes.

We finally saw Sin City today.

I have to say, I've been waiting years for this film... since I first read Sin City (Marv's inspiring-if-horrific slide down the escalator of life in the first series of comics), and more recently since Robert Rodriguez told the fan boy world that yes, Frank Miller had liked the clip, and that he'd confidently cajoled our man Robert to "Do it!"

I've been waiting... and I've been terrified. Sure, the comics are ready-made storyboards. Of course the dialogue crackles with the sodden-intensity of the best noir around... but come on! Could even Robert Rodriguez (self-proclaimed geek who not only has the nerve to make Sin City, but the cahones to option Madman) bring Frank Miller's dreary dream to the screen?

Well, all I can tell you is... this is Frank Miller's Sin City.

It exposes and titilates all of your noir-endings; it is a negative-space of saturated bliss.

It is the film I've beeen hoping to see for two years. It is the film I've been terrified I'd never see at all.

Know this: it makes Mickey Rourke a star again. 'nuff said?

This is a city populated with Frank Miller's Id Heroes. The dialog isn't realistic... it's perfect. It's primal; it's paradise.

Go see Sin City. Go now... and then, when you go again (and I'm betting you will), watch -this time, without your hands over your face- and revel as Robert, Frank and the cast just... just get away with it up there on a screen barely big enough to hold them.

UPDATE 4/9: Nancy has posted her own review of Sin City! It is, of course, more erudite and articulate than mine, so be sure to check it out!

No comments: