Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Begin the Beguine



So, I haven't had much to say about Batman Begins. Don't get me wrong, when it comes to this summer's epic Bat flick, I'm as thrilled as a group of Quakers in a room full of benches... but a few months ago I managed to set my emotional Batman Begins burners on "Cautiously optimistic..." and there they will stay 'till June. It's a big summer for movies, and I'm just one little bald guy... cut me some slack.

Christian Bale is an outstanding choice for Bruce/Batman... Christopher Nolan was an inspired choice to direct, and he found inspiration from some of Batman's greatest creators. The film looks dark, mysterious and moody... and there isn't a single molded-latex nipple in sight. I loved Tim Burtons' Batman, but this? This will truly be the return of the dark knight (he said with cautious optimism). Watch this, and tell me I'm wrong.




Now, as for George Romero's Land of the Dead... fuck I've waited a long time for this film. I love George's "Fill in the blank" of the Dead films. That's not exactly going out on a severed limb, I know... but man alive they rule! I also have to say I dug the recent remake of Dawn of the Dead (if you haven't see it, see it now... it rocks), but it shrieked the obvious question "How come George didn't make this summer's zombiefest?" Well, two summers later, George is back, and he's here to tell you: yeah, they're zombies... they're all messed-up.

They say that "to live it again is past all endeavor...." This summer? I don't think so.

No comments: