Sunday, March 06, 2005

Music Poll Thingy: Special, Limited DiviMax Edition

1. Total amount of music files on your computer:
On my computer at home? None. However, I have an emac at work (the bookstore is the house that Jobs built), and there? I have over 6k songs… whatever that translates into as far as memory goes… what? 10 jellywatts? 5 mooglybits? I dunno.

2. The last CD you bought was:
Oh, you have NO idea how happy I was when Nancy told me that my beloved Hoodoo Gurus had just released a new album. Years after they hung it up, and the album only available in Australia… but yes, Mach Schau –the latest, and if not greatest, the coolest release from the Gurus- is my most recent –and most giddy- CD purchase. Stomp the tumbarumba!

3. What is the song you last listened to before reading this message?
Cast Your Fate to the Wind– Vince Guaraldi

4. Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.

  • Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd: This has been my favorite song since I first heard it on KOME in 1979. Great day in the morning! Has it been that long?
  • Mutineer, Warren Zevon: Warren wrote other songs I actually like more (Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner… Poor Poor Pitiful Me... Lawyers Guns and Money... Gorilla You’re a Desperado... Carmelita), but since Warren played this that night on Dave… bringing his last public appearance to a dignified close… this song moves me like no other. I didn’t know Warren, but I miss him, even still.
  • Crazy, Patsy Cline: Come on. Patsy. Willy. The tragedy works on so many levels… and who isn’t instantly transported by Patsy’s mellifluous tones?
  • The Man Comes Around, Johnny Cash: Man I loved Johnny Cash. I loved his TV show; I loved his concept album… I even loved him when he sang “All the Gold in California” with the Gatlin Brothers. I was ecstatic when he first teamed up with Rick Rubin… but I’m here to tell you, that entire partnership built to this one song. I miss you too, Johnny… thanks, man.
  • Be Mine, REM: Nancy and I picked out all of the music for our wedding. One thing that has always been unbelievably cool about sharing a life with Nancy is that we often worship the very same things, but for entirely different reasons. I know this song appears on her list too, and she quotes a line that certainly touches me, but here’s why I knew our first dance as extremely-lucky-man and wife had to be to this song: “I’ll be the drawing of your breath/I’ll be carpet you should weave/I’ll be the sky above the ganges/I’ll be the vast and stormy sea/I’ll be the lights that guide you inland/I’ll be the visions you will see.”*
    I listen to this song at least once a week, and it makes me cry every time.
5. Who are you going to pass this stick to? (3 persons) and why?
Absolutely no one. I never participate in these surveys. This time it only seemed fair ‘cause Nancy sent me the survey, and she answered –with typical wisdom and wit- each question, so I thought I’d throw in my two cents as well. Sorry to break the chain kids, but there you go.
PS: If I was gonna' pass it on to anyone, I'd pass it on to Scott... he's forgotten more about music than I've ever known. And I guarantee you he forgot it in a really cool way, and that he has a really cool story about how he forgot it. Too bad I don't pass these things on.

* I didn't want to break the mood, but seriously: does anyone remember those days when REM didn't suck? Man those were good times. Someone owes me a band. I'm just sayin'.

No comments: