Thursday, July 24, 2008

When Hector Was A Pup

You know me, and you know I hate to say "I told you so." Well, not so much "hate" as "relish..." but you get my point: robots will kill us all.

The B21 Kitchen Robot was designed to know where everything in your kitchen is via RFID tagging and help you prepare meals. In reality, the robot will probably just stab you. The blue barrel bastard was created by the Technical University of Munich and even has the capability to learn how to use new tools (read: "knives"; read: "Oh friggin' great").

"(By using RFID tags) the robot knows where everything is, and it can learn simple tasks simply by observing the movements of the objects.

"Setting the table is very easily recognized from cups and plates disappearing from the cupboard and appearing on the table, and cleaning up later is characterized by the same objects disappearing from the table and appearing in the dishwasher."

The team is also working to integrate a number of open-source software packages to enable the robots to get instructions from the internet, in the same way that some search for images."

Oh yeah, that's just what I need -- a robot that's getting instructions from the interwebs. So let me get this straight: there's a robot in my kitchen. It knows where the knives are, and it's being controlled by someone whose loftiest goal in life is to type F1RST! in the comments?

I told you so.

No comments: