Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hedley No More

Harvey Korman died today at 81, and I'm just not happy about it... which makes sense when you know how much I dug Harvey... yet is still hard to reconcile since until today "happy" and "Harvey" have been synonymous in my life.

I remember watching The Carol Burnett Show with my parents, and I'd wait and wait for any Tim Conway/Harvey Korman sketch if just to bask in how much they enjoyed trying to crack each other up. They never failed to fall apart, which never failed to make me a teary-eyed, fitfully-shaking lump of giggling boy every Sunday night. Harvey made me look forward to Sunday nights. That's real power, my friends.

The best thing about Blazing Saddles? Not the played-out campfire scene. Not even Madeline Kahn's musical number. Two words: Hedley Lamarr.

Oh, and if you havn't seen Harvey's, um... "transformation" into a werewolf in the sadly underrated High Anxiety then I just don't know why you're still sitting here. Get out and rent the film! Watch it... watch Harvey... and simply enjoy how much he clearly enjoyed making us laugh.

You'll be missed, Harvey... you'll be missed.


No comments: