Saturday, August 25, 2007

Looks Like She Maaaaaaade It

While Lindsay Lohan may have ducked felony cocaine charges, she was charged with seven misdemeanors, including two counts of driving under the influence and misdemeanor possession of coke. TMZ says:
"Lohan, who was busted twice since Memorial Day weekend, was charged with
two counts of driving under the influence. If convicted of both, she'd face a
minimum of four days in jail. If a felony were filed, Lohan could have faced
several years in state prison.
TMZ goes on to explain why Lindsay only received a misdemeanor drug charge:
"In Lohan's case, the fact that she was busted twice in a short period of
time actually helped her. It shows someone is struggling with an addiction
problem. The fact that each time she was busted, she immediately checked into a
rehab facility also helped her case. Also, her age - 21 - and the fact that her
upbringing was extremely unstable - also worked in her favor."

It really says a lot when the law enforcement community agrees that Dina Lohan's parenting causes crime. Soon we’ll find out that police officers have the right to use deadly force if they spot her within 100 yards of a school. Of course legend has it she can only be killed when her youngest son Cody forgets her morning gin and tonic. That, my friends, is when we’ll strike.


UPDATE:

So it seems Lindsay Lohan has struck a deal by pleading no contest to two counts of DUI and will serve 10 days community service and one day in jail (the minimum sentence of four days was cut in half by the judge, and she was also credited one day for the time served when she was arrested). Lindsay also pleaded guilty to two counts of being under the influence of a controlled substance and pled no contest to reckless driving. The judge ordered Lindsay to serve 36 months probation and attend an alcohol education program for 18 months, as well as enroll in a drug program and "not to associate with people with controlled substances." Lindsay issued the following statement:
"It is clear to me that my life has become completely unmanageable
because I am addicted to alcohol and drugs.


Recently, I relapsed and did things for which I am ashamed. I broke the law, and today I took responsibility by pleading guilty to the charges in my case. No matter what I said when I was under the influence on the day I was arrested, I am not
blaming anyone else for my conduct other than myself. I thank God I did not
injure others. I easily could have.



I very much want to be healthy and gain control of my life and career and have asked for medical help in doing so. I am taking these steps to improve my life. Luckily, I am not alone in my daily struggle and I know that people like me have succeeded. Maybe with time it will become easier. I hope so.
She sounds pretty serious about getting healthy, but one day in jail? For seven misdemeanors, including driving with a blood alcohol level almost double the legal limit and trying to run somebody down in her car? I waved at a police officer the wrong way once ten years ago and got a worse sentence. I'm typing this in the prison library.

No comments: