Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Next Big Thing

I have this notion that I'd be a great A&R guy... mostly because I was so right about Bon Jovi. I saw them open for the band who opened for the Scorpions back in... what, 1983? It was right before their eponymous debut album hit the streets. There was no denying they were gonna' be huge, and I said so. No one heard me, of course... they were all too busy screaming and screwing up the chorus to "Runaway," but dammit! I was right! Flush with my success I went on to proclaim the next "next big things" for years afterwards... and I've been wrong every goddam time.

Concrete Blonde... Jesus Jones... Screaming Trees... John Wesley Harding... the Hoodoo Gurus... Plugz... the Soft Boys... the list goes on and on... countless amazing bands that only I ever loved. I know I can't be wrong about them... so it must be everyone else, right? Maybe I just need to work harder to spread the word....

Case in point: My Chemical Romance. Watch this, and just try to tell me they aren't the next big thing... maybe they'll even be as big as the Smithereens! Dare I dream?



Oh, and don't worry, I'll be posting "Next Big Thing" updates every so often... just keepin' my hand in the game, y'understand.

1 comment:

Squish the Klown said...

Okay, so maybe I don't love the Hoodoo's as much as yoodoos (heeeeheeeharharhar) but I do think they are great. Now, keep in mind you were spot on with Fountains of Wayne, even if it was only for a brief shining moment of teenage lust. You forgot Midnight Oil in your list of great ones that never made it...but really? Bon Jovi? Eeeeew...dude!