Sunday, October 30, 2005

Do the Shuffle!


As Week 8 begins, let's take a fond look back at Week 7, shall we?

Two words: TWO WINS!

First, the standings in the office Yahoo league:

1. San Diego Zoo 6-1-0
2. Kirk's nightmare 6-1-0
3. Budwipers 5-2-0
4. Arsenal 4-3-0
5. Last & Least Too 4-3-0
6. Turd Burglars 4-3-0
7. Gotham Knights 4-3-0
8. Las Vegas Heat 4-3-0
9. Super Chargers 3-4-0
10. AggieDucks 3-4-0
11. Wade Reeves QB 3-4-0
12. kimpossible 2-5-0
13. The Nation 1-6-0
14. Cyanide 0-7-0

That's right, I'm in 7th. Thing is, from the look of things, I'll be in 7th after Week 8 as well... Regis help me, that's what I'm hoping for, anyway... it looks bad for your Gotham Knights this Week 8 my fantasy football friends... brace yourselves.

But getting back to happier Week 7 news: I won! You can say what you want about losing, but I'll tell you what: winning's better.

Oh, and in the NFL.COM league? What's the phrase I'm looking for? "I won!" Lookee:

East Division
Metropolis Meteors 5-2-0
AntiBushTexans 3-4-0
jump 3-4-0
Crawford Vaqueros 2-4-1

Central Division
blueflames 6-1-0
Eau Claire Charlatans 4-3-0
San Jose Synecdoche 4-3-0
marauders 3-4-0

West Division
COSTA RICAN PANTHERS 4-3-0
Jimbo 3-4-0
METRO ALLSTARS 2-4-1
scurvy dawgs 2-5-0

By some twist of fate, I've taken the lead in my division, and leapt up the rankings in overall points. Again, don't expect such a happy report of my Week 8 results in this league... looks bad for your beloved Metropolis Meteors too, I'm afraid... but for now let's just bask in another week of dual wins! You can call me "Winnie McWinnerstine!"

Wait... wasn't that the girl on Wonder Years?

Anyway... Nancy, sad to say, lost, while Joe won, and overtook her once again in the Central Division. Tony... wait for it... WON! Somehow, drafting a player on Friday who's out for the season and then leaving him in the lineup seems to have helped notch the ol' "W" for Tony... I dunno... football's complicated.

So after Week 7 I was feeling pretty good about my playoff chances... but then Week 8 crept up on me like a drunken dwarf with a meat tenderizer, and tried to tenderize my playoff hopes into oblivion... but you know what? Even after this week's performance (more on that later) I'm still optimistic... if guardedly so. Just as winning beats losing, and a Royal Flush beats two pair, being gaurdedly optimistic beats no optimism at all... at least, that's what Howard Dean tells me.

"Football incorporates the two worst elements of American society: violence punctuated by committee meetings." ~Bern Williams

No comments: