Friday, September 02, 2005

Tragic Kingdom

"Racism is a refuge for the ignorant. It seeks to divide and to destroy. It is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out."
~Pierre Berton

"Education in this country is about how to maintain the status quo and to perpetuate racism." ~Jane Elliot

"Racism isn't born, folks, it's taught. I have a two-year-old son. You know what he hates? Naps! End of list."
~Denis Leary

"I believe that this nation can only heal from the wounds of racism if we all begin to love blackness. And by that I don't mean that we love only that which is best within us, but that we're also able to love that which is faltering, which is wounded, which is contradictory, incomplete."
~Bell Hooks

"My generation's apathy. I'm disgusted with it. I'm disgusted with my own apathy too, for being spineless and not always standing up against racism, sexism and all those other -isms the counterculture has been whinning about for years."
~Kurt Cobain

"I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word."
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: