Sunday, December 18, 2005

Sometimes a Trailer is Just a Trailer

Week 14... sigh.

You know, for me, I've done pretty well this season. Made the playoffs in one league, and finished high -if weak- in another league... yet still... I'm disappointed. My fantasy football glass? It's half-empty. Sure I could be ecstatic that I finished second in my NFL.COM division -with a losing record that pales in comparison to Nancy's record (who, thanks to getting stuck with the toughest teams in the league finished last in her division)- but instead I'm annoyed that I came this close to the playoffs in that league... and once again am watching them from the sidelines.

It's just like that time my field hockey team almost made the state championship... just as disappointing, and just as imaginary.

So, to make the NFL.COM playoffs I had to win while my rival for first place had to lose to Tony, remember? I have to admit -as I have sheepishly to Tony already- that I assumed the weak link in that chain of events was the possibility of Tony winning. Turns out I was wrong. I got whooped on Sunday, while Tony did some whoopin' of his own, and when the whoopin' was over? I was parked in second place, and on the bench for the post-season.

The end-of-season rankings:

East Division
AntiBushTexans 7-7-0
Metropolis Meteors 6-8-0
jump 6-8-0
Crawford Vaqueros 4-9-1

Central Division
Eau Claire Charlatans 10-4-0
blueflames 10-4-0
marauders 8-6-0
San Jose Synecdoche 7-7-0

West Division
COSTA RICAN PANTHERS 9-5-0
METRO ALLSTARS 8-5-1
Jimbo 5-9-0
scurvy dawgs 3-11-0

Hats off to Nancy who kicked my ass all season, but finished last in her division regardless. And while we're tipping hats and naming names, howsabout that Joe, huh? He's a fantasy football genius, it turns out! He took over his division a couple weeks ago, and made the playoffs with ease, and dare I say... aplomb. Now all of our digits are crossed while we root for Joe to take home the championship. You go, Eau Claire Charlatans!

In the office Yahoo league? This was week one of our playoffs... and, dammit, I lost. As it turns out I would have beaten any other team but the one I actually played... but, as it also turns out, that doesn't matter at all. Nor did a lot of whining, and not a little begging. Live and learn.

I finish this week still in fifth, but unfortunately that's the best I can finish after next week's consolation game. Odds are I'll finish sixth, which is a drag, but still... it's the best I've ever finished in a Yahoo league, so that's something, right?

The rankings:

*1. San Diego Zoo 11-2-0
*2. Kirk's nightmare 10-3-0
*3. Arsenal 8-5-0
*4. Turd Burglars 8-5-0
*5. Gotham Knights 8-5-0
*6. Last & Least Too 7-5-1
7. Super Chargers 7-6-0
8. Budwipers 6-6-1
9. Wade Reeves QB 6-7-0
10. AggieDucks 5-8-0
11. Las Vegas Heat 5-8-0
12. kimpossible 5-8-0
13. The Nation 4-9-0
14. Cyanide 0-13-0

So that's that for the pentultimate week of the fantasy football season (for me, anyway). No more games in the NFL.COM league, and one game to go in the Yahoo league. After that? It's just a whole lot of planning for next season, and a bunch of not watching baseball.

No comments: