Friday, May 08, 2009

The Human Adventure Continues... Again

Star Trek! I thought it was great! Of course, that was an almost foregone conclusion, as we all know.



I also have to say... it was really just Star Wars, wasn't it? Which is to say, I was helpless NOT to love it.

I mean, it opened with one spaceship getting smacked around by a bully of a much-larger spaceship representing an evil empire. The bad guy on the much-larger spaceship is looking for someone associated with a planet-destroying device, and being kinda' a jerk about it.

THEN cut to a farmboy (Kirk) who lost his warrior father and loves fast vehicles. He doesn't get along with the man who raised him, and dreams of a better life in outer space. An older mentor inspires the boy to leave home, and so the boy gathers an ad-hoc family that bonds under pressure in a really fast spaceship as they try to (a) rescue someone from the aforementioned much-larger spaceship and (b) prevent the villain from blowing up planets.

I'm pretty sure I even saw an awards ceremony, a retractable sword, and a bar full of aliens.

For all that (hell, maybe because of that), it was hands-down the best time I've had at the movies since The Dark Knight, I really have to say… and who says a sidelined cadet can't rise to the rank of Captain of the fleet's flagship in 24 hours? Jim Kirk can squeeze Orion slave girls' tears into diamonds, my friend… NEVER underestimate the Kirk.

Anyway, if you give a shit, I loved Star Trek. And you too, Scarecrow! Most of all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay. You're smoking dope on this one. I am going to forget this movie exists and hopefully the second movie will make no references to this awful movie, so awful that it could be spelled awfull.

Anonymous said...

You understand that Cadet Kirk went from the Academy to the Captaincy, right?